I know before orientation, I was really worried about signing up for classes. Then when we actually had to choose our schedules, it went by so quickly and I didn't feel like I had the schedule I really wanted. I wish I had known this advice before I had signed up, but hey, hopefully my mistakes will help you!
1. Look up your professors before signing up.
2. Plan out your schedule ahead of time.
3. Have backup plans.
Sometimes you won't get the schedule you wanted because they filled up too quickly (especially when they're core requirements). Make sure that you have an idea of other classes you want / need to take if you have an empty slot!
4. Don't sign up for 8 am's (or 9 am's).
5. Avoid Friday classes.
6. Don't skip class.
7. Wait until you start class to order a textbook.
8. Rent textbooks from anywhere BUT your bookstore.
Check out my other posts in this series!