My freshman year is almost over unfortunately! I have loved every second of it. I would give anything to go back to this time last year and get to relive my freshman experience all over again. If you're about to head off to college, get ready to have the best year of your life!
By far, the worst part about going to college is having to live in a dorm. I'm fortune enough to have my own room because I live in a suite style community. So I asked my roomies' opinions on this list and we have compiled some things that we are thankful for bringing to college!
1. Brita Water Jug : You are not going to want to drink water straight out of the faucet and hauling a huge pack of water bottles up to your room is hard work. Instead, let a jug do the filtration for you! They are super cheap and definitely worth it. Just be sure to replace the filter in it.
2. Handheld Garment Steamer : SO much easier than an iron because you don't have to worry about having an ironing board. Since it's handheld, it can be stored super easily. Just hang your shirt (or whatever is wrinkly) and steam away your worries!
3. Pyrex Jug : Not only can you use it to cook stuff in the microwave, but you can also use it to eat out of. Less dishes to wash! This one even has a lid, so you could use it to store leftovers in.
4. Essential Oil Diffuser : Sadly, candles aren't allowed to burned in dorm rooms. And plug-in's only last so long. I personally love my diffuser, and I always use my lavender oil to help me stay calm and relaxed.
5. Personal Fan / Sound Machine : Your hall mates won't care if you have an 8 am tomorrow morning, I promise. So instead of yelling down the hallway, use either of these to help drown out the sound of them
6. Step Stool : If you're going to have your bed raised at all, this is so important. I'm 5'7 and I still needed a boost up on to my bed. Plus it's helpful if you need to hang stuff or anything like that.
7. Dish Drying Rack / Mat : This will encourage you to actually do your dishes. Everyone 'promises' that they will, but the amount of roommate fights that happen over a dirty sink is insane. (Thankfully we don't have that problem)
8. Paper Towel Holder : It just allows for you to never misplace your paper towels. You never know when you will spill something!
9. Poop-ouri : Awkward..but EVERYONE POOPS! This stuff works and it's totally worth the money. I share a bathroom with one of my roommates and the rule is that if you're going #2, you have to use this stuff. (Also side note: if you're scared to go in public, I always carry this stuff with me so I don't have to worry!)
PS. Be sure to check out what my freshman year dorm room looked like and also how to have a dorm sweet dorm!