We have all been there. A stress pimple here, a hormonal zit there, or even blackheads that never really seem to go away. My skin has never been perfect. I suffered from EXTREME cystic acne through out high school. It made me self conscious and uncomfortable. I felt like I constantly had to wear makeup which only seemed to make the acne worse.
I had tried everything. I went to my dermatologist and was told to use this routine twice a day.
- Use PanOxyl Acne Creamy Wash. I used this with my Clarisonic (regular brush head). Start out using it once a day, because it WILL DRY YOUR SKIN OUT. The first week I used it, my face was actually peeling and was extremely painful because I used it twice a day. My skin wasn't used to that much benzoyl peroxide.
- As a daytime moisturizer, I used this Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer. Since it has 30 SPF, it was a great substitution for sunscreen. It is really important to wear sunscreen at all times. It helps prevent acne scarring and redness.
- For night time, I used this CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion.
It was that easy! Or so I thought..after a few months of using it, I honestly didn't see much a difference. Yes, there was less acne but it wasn't gone. I'm sure the routine above will work for a lot of people, so that is why I am sharing it with you. ( Free dermatologist advice..why the heck not? )
But for those of you who have sensitive combination skin type, this is the routine that works best for me! I only do this at night time however.
- Regardless if I wear make-up or not, I wipe my face clean with a makeup remover wipe. Your skin gets dirty throughout the day, so a quick cleanse is good to help get all that build up off.
- In the shower, I use St. Ives Blackhead Clearing Green Tea Scrub and follow it with my Philosophy Pure Facial Cleanser.
- Once a week, I use the 'Mask of Magnanimity' from LUSH cosmetics. I spread it on, leave it for ten minutes, and then I wash it off with warm water. My skin feels so fresh and deeply cleansed.
- Then I use my 'Grease Lightning' which is also from LUSH cosmetics. This is a holy grail product. I can put this on an inflamed pimple and it will be so much better looking in the morning. Much less red and smaller in size.
- After I wait for the product from step 3 to dry, I go in with Aveeno moisturizer. It leaves me feeling moisturized without clogging my pores.
Some quick tips!
- Use makeup sparingly, and ALWAYS wash your face after.
- Focus on buying non comedogenic products. This means they are specially formulated to not cause blocked pores.
- Remember to moisturize!! (Even if you're oily)
Do you have any tips or products that you just can't live without? Let me know in the comments below! I always love trying out new things.